Letters Of Credit
A Letter of Credit (LC) is a mode of payment used for the importation of visible goods.
It is a written undertaking given by a Bank (issuing Bank) at the request of it's customer (applicant), in which the Bank obligates itself to pay the exporter (seller/beneficiary) up to a stated amount within a prescribed time frame upon presentation of stipulated documents that conform to the terms and conditions of the documentary credit.
The major participants in an LC transaction are:
- The Buyer/Importer/Applicant i.e the customer requesting LC to be issued.
- The Seller/Exporter/Beneficiary i.e the Recipient of the LC.
- The Issuing Bank - which gives the written undertaking.
- Advising Bank/Seller's Bank i.e the bank that advises the LC to the beneficiary.
Common Types of LCs
The common types of LCs are:
- Unconfirmed LC
- Confirmed LC
Any LC that has only the payment obligation of the issuing bank.
Any LC that carries the payment obligation of at least two banks being the issuing bank and any other bank i.e the confirming bank.
The seller may either request a named bank to confirm the credit or just ask for confirmation by any reputable bank.
Confirmation comes at a cost since it is a service rendered by the confirming bank. The cost of confirmation can be borne by either the applicant or the beneficiary depending on the agreement between them and the instruction given to the opening bank.
For an LC payable at sight, payment would be made upon presentation of credit compliant documents while for deferred payment LC, payment is made at a later date (in accordance with the agreed date stated in the L/C e.g 60 days from bill of lading date or invoice date e.t.c).
Bills for Collection (Documentary Collection)
Bills for Collection is also a mode of payment used for the importation of visible goods.
A Bill for Collection is defined according to Uniform Rule for Collection (URC 522) as the handling of documents (financial and/or commercial) by banks in accordance with instructions received from the exporter in order to:
- Obtain payment or acceptance or
- Deliver documents against payment and/or acceptance or
- Deliver documents on other terms and conditions.
The major participants of a Bill for Collection transaction are:
- The Buyer/Importer/Applicant
- The Seller/Exporter/Beneficiary
- The importer's bank/Collecting bank
- The exporter's bank/Remitting bank
- Portfolio Management - Investment in money market instruments and other suitable outlets via Bonds, Treasury Bills.
- Tenored Deposits - Intereston deposits for specified tenors ranging from 30, 60, 90 to 180 days.
- FX Forward Contracts - Customers are able to enter into future forward contracts to make payments on their dollar obligations.
Why choose GTBank
We have carefully put in place products and services that are unrivalled in the Ghanaian banking industry. Outlined below are some of the benefits of a private banking experience with us.
- Automatic access to our exclusive Private Banking centre with a homely and serene ambience where all your banking transactions can be carried out.
- A dedicated relationship manager to attend to you as you relax in our business lounge equipped with internet facilities and a refreshment bar.
- Meeting rooms available for private or business meetings with your clients
- Access to our safe deposit for secure storage of important documents and valuables.
- Exclusive Saturday banking between the hours of 9am to 1pm.
- Loans and advances
- Efficient local and foreign funds transfer services
- Financial advisory and multi investment options
- Access to the most prestigious and sought after card with extensive purchasing and travel benefits – GTBank Visa / MasterCard .
- Robust internet banking equipped with features that give you control over your account. These features cut across local transfers (to any bank), international transfers, various bill payments, account enquiries among several others.
The above are only part of the benefits of your relationship with us as we pride ourselves in our ability to provide bespoke solutions so wouldn't you rather bank with us?
For further enquiries please:
Email Us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Call our Toll free: 0800 124 000 or
24-Hour Customer Support / Service Hotlines:
(+233) 307 037 107 / 302 923 914 / 302 966 755
(+233) 504100011 (WhatsApp ONLY)